passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Making the Perfect Team - Parents

Parents (step-parents, aunts and uncles....etc.)
This subject can become controversial, if you let it. We all have heard stories of the screaming parents on the sidelines, etc.
I want to dispel that thinking right away. In my years of playing and coaching, and coaching and playing….and on and on, I can tell you this categorically, without parents, there simply would be no sports. I have been so impressed over the years with the dedicated parents I have met and dealt with.
I can start with my own parents. 6 kids, all playing sports, always supporting us, driving us, cheering for us, raising our spirits, volunteering to help the team….where did they find the time?? I have no idea, but they did. And, it always seemed to be done effortlessly. I know now, of course, that there was a ton of “effort” required to commit like they did. But they did it.
Today I hear all sorts of stories about how this kid plays lacrosse on a box team and a field team, and has hockey tryouts…oh, and plays rugby, and so on. It blows my mind….oh, and the brother or sister…..plays just as many sports. In some cases, the parents also play sports themselves….and still make it work. If you are one of these parents, take your hand and reach around, and pat yourself on the back, because there is a good chance that if you don’t do it, nobody else will.
Hockey alone, especially at the AA and AAA level, is a full time job. But, it gets done. It seems to go on all year, tryouts, practice, power skating, camps and dry land training to name a few of the things that need to be attended.
There are more little things that parents do as well. I helped coach U-15 Girls field lacrosse in Mississauga 2 years ago, and I remember going to the first tournament weekend. Between games, the parents pulled out bbq’s etc. and made us all lunch. It might not seem like a big deal, but it was. It allows the coaches to coach, and the players to play….and it is quite simply, a nice thing to do. It builds team unity and friendships, and that is really what sports is all about.
I would like to take this opportunity to show gratitude to all parents who day after day, year after year drive their kids, wash their jersey, help with lunch, bring drinks for the team, cheer for a big goal, provide a hug after a tough loss, offer advice and all the while support the organization that their son or daughter play for.
In our quest to Make the Perfect Team...it simply will not happen without supportive parents.
Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment