passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Lacrosse Concussion Lawsuit

Concussion -  temporary unconsciousness or confusion and other symptoms caused by a blow to the head.

Concussions are the "hot topic" of the day...especially in heavy hitting sports like football and hockey. There is no question that this is a serious subject and all leagues are standing up and taking notice. Equipment is being improved, rules are being changed and everybody seems to be interested in making these sports more safe.

Here is what bothers me: The Lawsuits.

For example:

NFL
There has been a settlement worth a proposed $765 million in the NFL's concussion case that included some 4500 former players suing the league over head trauma. The settlement breaks down to $170,000, on average, per player (see more on this article)

NHL
It finally happened: Ten retired NHL players are suing the NHL in a class action lawsuit alleging that the league didn't do enough to protect their brains.
(see more on this article)

I do not want to make light of the seriousness of a concussion, as it causes a lot of pain and suffering for the victims, and their families -- and often long term.

...but...

Give me a break.

Actually, come to think of it...I think I might start my own class action lawsuit. We could be RICH!!! What a great idea. Who wants in?

Here is my plan.

1/ I will start my calling my buddy Stu. Not only is he a lawyer, he is also a lacrosse player (we have played together since I was six). He has also been hit on the noodle more times then a piñata at a Mike Tyson birthday party. He is the perfect guy for this. - In Stu's first year of lacrosse, helmets were optional...this is going to be great.
                                               Exhibit "A"  - Concussion Worthy?

2/ Determine who we should sue:

- Start with my parents I think, it is their fault after all to get me involved in this violent sport to begin with - What were they thinking? - I could get hurt...what is wrong with synchronized swimming or cross country running?
 - Of course, I would have to sue my brothers (sorry guys) - but you guys hit me in the head...a lot. Especially my youngest brother, also a lacrosse player. (Tippy). You may have read the story in an earlier blog - the one where he kicked me in the head with his one "sundaygotomeeting" shoe on. He is definitely getting sued. (read that old blog here)
- Next - Minor lacrosse must also be to blame, after all, it must be their fault that some crazy kid drove my head into the boards from behind and his crazy parents were cheering him on.(I will sue the crazy kid - he might be Rich now - and his crazy parents too).
- Sue all the lacrosse organizations: there should have been disclaimers at minor lacrosse registration that said "if you play lacrosse you might get your bell rung, and if you do, you cannot sue us many years later".
- Sue the equipment manufacturers...they should have designed better equipment, a long time ago...what were they waiting for?
                                        What a beauty!!

- We are definitely going to sue the NFL and the NHL - they have very deep pockets and my years of watching these two great sports made me think getting hit in the head was ok. This is going to be great. We will be Rich.   $$$$$


- Sue all the booster clubs I have ever been in. Lord knows how many times I have bumped heads in a booster club. We should have had helmets on. Someone should have told us.

I guess I could go on and on here. This could be the greatest lawsuit of all time.

**Notice**

For those of you that don't appreciate satire, let me say this. Although I have empathy for all those people that are affected by serious concussions, I do also think that ultimately, we have to take some responsibility for our own decisions. Especially the athletes that choose to play these rough, head jarring sports professionally, and get paid a lot of money to do it. I wonder out of all the NHL and NFL players that get money on this lawsuit played the game, just because they loved it. Playing a game they love...knowing it was rough, and getting paid...and now suing. Interesting.

I wonder if anyone has told the UFC guys about this whole concussion thing. Ha. That is funny.

Please share your comments on my facebook page or my twitter page @passitonsports and add #lacrosseheadbump to join the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment