passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

To be a sports fan.

This is becoming a difficult time of year for me (as a sports fan) - Here's why.

Baseball -  I am not a huge baseball "fan". Don't get me wrong/ I like to play the game, although I have not in years. I also like to watch the game too....to a point. For example, I was right there with all the other Blue Jay fanatics in the early 90's sweating out every pitch and every swing of the bat. But that was almost 20 years ago. I still like the Jays, but I want a playoff team - sorry. So what next? - I like Roy Halliday who is now with the Phillies....oops....they are now gone. No Bosox, No Yankees, The drama is dwindling. We have Detroit vs Texas and we have St. Louis against The Milwaukee Brewers.
Now, there are some good story lines within these four teams, but for me...it is just not happening.

Basketball - You know how I feel about this subject. Bball is probably one of the sports I most enjoy watching (i know a lot of you would disagree - oh well) - But, there is no basketball, and if you read my blog on the Lock out from a few days ago , you know I have no sympathy or understanding of this situation....and I am embarrassed for them all. **Update** As of today the first two weeks of the regular season has been cancelled...so who cares...if you guys don't want all the money that you are grossly overpaid...then who really cares. I do have a Twitter account, and one of the guys I follow is DeMar DeRozan of The Toronto Raptors. He "tweeted" yesterday "It's not about being greedy it's about being fair..."     Are you kidding me?  By now you might be tired of my math...but last year DeMar made $2,453,880. If you make $75,000/year (nice salary) you would have to work 32 years to make what Demar made last year. He is 21 years old.....and just in case you forgot his "tweet" he said "it is not about being greedy it's about being fair"   - Wow, where did these athletes lose touch with reality.
......and by the way, as a fan, I love to watch Demar play, he is a phenomenal athlete.

Golf The PGA is basically over for the year. The tournaments that are going on right now, are guys scrambling to position themselves on the money list, and qualify for next year. Some call it the silly season of golf. This past weekend for me, was no exception. Why? I thought you would never ask. Well this weekend check out the Toronto Star sports headlines for golf. http://www.thestar.com/sports/golf  Three headlines about Tiger Woods. One for a new deal with Rolex, one about Tiger having an ordinary result and one more about a guy throwing a hot dog at Tiger. I mean Really. Give me a break. Now I am no writer, or editor, but try this Headline on for the newspaper....  "THREE CANADIANS FINISH IN TOP TEN AT PGA EVENT" 
- I know,it is kind of a homer attitude but it is kind of cool that David Hearn of Brantford, Ont., Matt McQuillan of Kingston, Ont., and Adam Hadwin of Abbotsford, B.C., all finished at 11 under, tied for seventh. Why can't that be a headline....oh, and they all finished ahead of Tiger.

                                                     Canadian Golfer Dave Hearn

Hockey - Last but not least....the great game...Hockey. It is just not the same, there is a transition going on, the hitting is being basically removed from the game (in a way) - Keep in mind, I have never liked the cheap shots and dangerous play,but there is definitely a rebirth going on in Hockey and i am not sure where it will end. Stay tuned.....and I also miss Sidney Crosby.


...sigh.....it is tough to be a sports fan these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment