passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Lou Marsh Award

 Patrick Chan wins Lou Marsh Award!!!

...and I know for a fact a lot of Canadians are thrilled, but no one more than my Mom.

Yes, my Mom has been following skating her whole life, and is the proudest Canadian I know. She reads my blog daily, and puts up with me spouting off about every sport all the while, ignoring her beloved sport, figure skating. I think that it is time for me to give her a moment in the sun.

The Lou Marsh Trophy, also known as the Lou Marsh Memorial Trophy and Lou Marsh Award is a trophy that is awarded annually to Canada's top athlete professional or amateur. It is awarded by a panel of journalists, with the vote taking place in December. It was first awarded in 1936. It is named in honour of Lou Marsh a prominent Canadian athlete, referee, and former sports editor of the Toronto Star. Marsh died in 1936 and the trophy was named in his honour.

This award can some be controversial as to who should win it. Some people think that an award like this should be for amateur athletes and some think it should be for simply the best athlete. (pro or otherwise).
Also, there is some thought that an individual is more deserving than someone from a team, which again is a matter of opinion.

This year was no different as there was definitely some difference of opinion on who should win.
There is one thing I know for sure though, and that is the great Canadian Athletes on the list for this years award were just that....GREAT.  Have a look at this great slide show from The Toronto Star.

The top contenders for this years award were –    world champion figure skater Patrick Chan -  world No. 1 ranked shot putter Dylan Armstrong - speed skating world champion Christine Nesbitt -  rider Eric Lamaze and the late Hickstead.

Keep in mind, these athletes are not just good at their sport, they are in most cases the very best in the world at their sport. Chan, Armstrong and Nesbitt take a back seat to no one. They are the best.

Other greats to win this award are Wayne Gretzky, Steve Nash, Mike Weir and Sidney Crosby....some pretty respectable names to say the least.

So Congratulations Patrick, well deserved for sure!!

I could go on, but I think today I will let you read an email form my Mom sent a couple of days before the Lou Marsh was decided.

Hi there.

Thought it is about time you did a figure skating blog. Just call Steven and he will explain it to you...I "Forced" him to watch it years ago.
Patrick Chan won Gold at The Grand Prix final held in Quebec City.This is NOT a "one weekend win". Many, many months of competition held in USA, Canada, Russia, China etc. with the top 6 competitors coming together in Quebec City to compete in this rigourous final.
Rosie Dimanno of the Toronto Star wrote a good article about it on Sunday.Patrick had made a comment after his win in China (his parents were born there). It caused a minor ruffling of feathers but I like Rosie's comments about this fine young man.
Rosie's Comment:
1.  Chan is a pleasure to watch and from her perspective,enjoyably forthright and NATURAL under the spotlight glare.
2.Honesty and frankness-is becoming a rarity in sports. It should be nurtured rather than condemned.
3. Rosie states.."Good Lord, think about the creepy places so many sports celebrities have taken us...from sex scandals, congressional hearings on steroid cheating to illegal back room dog fighting".

My comments:
I have watched this fine athlete over many years and I feel he is a TRUE CANADIAN super star!!He makes Canada PROUD.
Patrick will NEVER "haul in" the big $$$$ like the "so-called biggies" of Hockey, Baseball, Basketball and Football.He
IS an athlete who entertains and delights us.

Michael, aren't you glad I read your blogs?
Just "Food for Thought"
Mom

(thanks mom - well said)

1 comment:

  1. Even I am proud of his accomplishments. Doesn't mean I want to watch him, however.

    Favorite son or BIL

    ReplyDelete