passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Monday, January 16, 2012

Jim Veltman: Giving Back

Lacrosse is a funny game really. To those that don't know much about it, it is an odd little game
 (a bit rough they say) - more of a "cult" sport.
For those of us that play, there is really no description I can tell you here that would suffice. It is just a really great sport to be a part of.

Jim Veltman has played lacrosse for a lot of years. His stats are impressive to say the least, have a look.         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Veltman

Jim is a part of the new Canadian Lacrosse League (CLax), a league that has given a lot of  talented lacrosse players that did not make the N.L.L. a chance to play Pro Lacrosse. I have a theory, there is never too much lacrosse, the more we play, the more we support new leagues, our favorite teams, and the more we encourage people to play....the better the game will be.

I have heard some negative rhetoric about the new league from some people...mostly lacrosse people trashing lacrosse people...silly, I think. If you are related to lacrosse in any way, then you should support lacrosse in any way. Period. We need growth, we need players and we need fans.

What has Jim been doing in his spare time? - Doing just that. Growing the game...and giving back to the game that he loves, a game that has been good to him.

Last Saturday Jan. 14th was the first CLax Masters game, something that I have had some fun being a part of. I arrived at 10am so that I could get set up to do registrations for the new league.

I decided to have a look at the Brampton Powerade Centre floor, and this was my view.
Jim Veltman was in the centre of this group of kids, running a clinic.

I heard that he had been there since 8am running clinics for different age groups. I was impressed by his energy level, and I could tell the kids were enjoying being "schooled" by probably the greatest loose ball guy lacrosse has ever seen.

Later that same day the "Masters" began play. The first game featured my team from Peel playing against Durham, great game (we lost 8 - 6).

Next it was Oshawa and  Brampton, with the Brampton squad winning that one, 8 - 7.
If you look at the picture below, far right you will see Jim after the game heading to the showers.
While the rest of the Masters players went for lunch before the next games, Mr. Veltman went back to the floor to do another clinic.

After that there were two more Masters games, Brampton defeated Durham in a goaltenders battle
7 - 5.
The final game was a close one too, as our Peel team lost 10 - 8 to the Oshawa squad featured the tireless Mr. Veltman. He seemed to be enjoying the game, and still has a lot of magic.

Here is a snippet of Jim (#32) in action.

Jim is a humble guy. I know a lot of the guys appreciated him coming out...the opportunity to play with (or against) the "best" does not happen often.When it does, it is special. I am a pretty seasoned lacrosse player (age will do that) - and I know that as hard as Jim was playing on this day, I'd say, he was at about 60% - he was just kind of on cruise...and at the end of the weekend, when I got all my stats updated.....well....you can probably guess....but have a look. CLax Masters Stats.


 
Four clinics done. Two lacrosse games......and then ready for the CLax Pro game at night to help out. I would say that Jim Veltman is giving back to the game. Good on you Jim!!

...and you want to talk about the full package, he even works the doors.....
Jim Veltman - A Class Act.


No comments:

Post a Comment