passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cheap Shots.

Cheap Shot - any mean or unsportsmanlike remark or action, especially one directed at a defenseless or vulnerable person.

I despise cheap shots in sports and I always have. I find it a gutless way for a so called "tough" guy to settle a score with an opponent, take out a star player or vent some frustration.

There is, in my opinion no place for it. I am not talking here about a fight or tough body check, I am talking about a blatant attempt to hurt a player that is totally unaware of it.

When I played lacrosse (back in the day) I did receive my share of "cheap shots".

I won't be specific of players or teams (to prevent the innocent), but I think the three worst on me were...
  • I fell on the floor in lacrosse....a player on the other team cross checked my head into the concrete, splitting my forehead open....probably one reason I may be short a few brain cells today
  • I was running down the boards for a long pass from the goalie, a player from the other team stepped on the floor (they already had 5 on the floor) and he took a full 2 handed swing at my knee, dropping me to the ground. I never saw it coming.
  • a scrum in the corner of the boards was going on, I was at the bottom of the pile...a player on the other team tried to put his finger into my eye as I lay there covered in other players.
These events might make you cringe...maybe even laugh, I guess it depends on your character. I never have understood that behaviour. It simply makes no sense to me.

The most recent "cheap shot" was in a basketball game between the L.A. Lakers vs.Oklahoma City. Ron Artest...oops....sorry....he changed his name to Metta World Peace. Anyway.....RonMetta just made a basket and he was pumped and in one swift motion he through an incredibly vicious elbow at James Harden......sending him to the floor. Check it out!




He could have killed the guy. We have been talking all year about head shots in hockey, and concussions etc., at least hockey players have a helmet.

For this elbow....."World Peace" received a suspension for 7 games. Whoop dee doo. 7 games is a complete joke. How about this. You throw the guy out of the league for a year....or maybe for life. Why should he be paid millions of dollars and be allowed to behave like this.  It is a privilege to play a sport. This is a joke....and the NBA should be ashamed. I am tired of it.

All leagues, pro and amateur need to stand up and end this form of brutality. Sports can be rough (and should be sometimes) - tough, bloody nose hockey and lacrosse is great to watch. However go back to the top and read it again. There is no room in sports for Cheap Shots!

No comments:

Post a Comment