passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Are you a top Athlete?

What makes an athlete great? Wow.....that question could take forever to answer. There are a million things that go into making an athlete great.

Were you born into a sports family? Your Mom was a star basketball player, your Dad a hockey stud? This can help, because you will be introduced into sports early in your life....and they can teach you the drive and commitment that is necessary to be a great athlete.
                               A Great Sports family - Archie (dad) and Peyton and Eli Manning

Was it easy for you to get to your practices and games, people to drive you, wait for you, buy your equipment etc? - These things can make it easier for you to get better. You might not know it when you are young, but you certainly know it as you get older. Be grateful to these people that helped you.
(better yet....go to www.passitonsports.ca and become a member and share your story of gratitude)

Did you have great coaching? - Every coach I have ever had taught me something. Even coaches that I didn't like, or didn't agree with - I still learned something from them. Keep an open mind, and actually try to do what they ask you to try....it might make a difference in you being good....to you being great.
Do you respond better to a screaming coach or an encouraging coach? Everybody is different. Check out this interesting video on the subject.  Click here.

No matter what advantage (or disadvantage) you have when you are younger, the key to being a great athlete always......always comes down to one thing.

 Your character.

What make you tick? What makes you want to get better? What drives you? What makes you get up at 5:30 am, run 10k and then go to the gym? Character.

An athlete with character, with drive, with a purpose will always be better than any athlete with any advantage.

I have been involved in a lot of sports, as a player, a coach and a fan. I have met my share of "lazy" athletes that could have been great, but they had no drive, no character. They just didn't care. I even see it now as I watch minor sports (mostly lacrosse in my case). I see athletes there are "wan-a-bees". They like the "idea" of being on a team, but don't want to do the work to get better. They want the jersey and the swag that go with being on the team, but will not commit to doing the work to help the team.


If you are on a competitive sports team right now.....ask yourself these questions.
  • Am I in the best physical condition that I could be in?
  • Do I work on my sport after practice....away from the game? -
  • Am I Team first or Me first?
  • Do I respect and listen to my coach.
  • Do I respect and encourage my teammates?
  • Can I do better?
Ask yourself these questions once a week and be truthful.

You too can be a top Athlete.








No comments:

Post a Comment