passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Randy Rooster McMillen

Last weekend I went to the AGM (Annual General Meeting) for Masters Lacrosse in Ontario. It was the first time I saw everybody since my heart attack. I received a lot of well wishes from everybody, and it really was a great feeling.

The meeting began and early on there were some awards.

The Randy (Rooster) McMillen Award is handed out annually to the Masters Lacrosse Player who combines leadership and sportsmanship and competes at a high level.

This years winner???  Me!

I was shocked (but more honoured). It is an incredibly good feeling to be respected by Masters Lacrosse like this, but even more important for me is to receive an award in Rooster's name.

Randy "Rooster" McMillen passed away in the fall of 2009. He was a friend of mine. He was a friend of many. Anybody that has played masters lacrosse over the last 15 years know Rooster well. He was like the Goodwill Ambassador for our game. He was at every tournament and played very hard, on and off the floor.

I met Randy in the mid 1980's. We both played lacrosse for the Owen Sound North Stars. I remember when I first saw him, I thought he was not very big....but quickly learned how talented he was with the ball (a great shooter) and also quickly learned that pound for pound he was actually one of the toughest guys on our team.

I lived in Owen Sound for a few years in the late 80's and Randy made me feel welcome. We had some great times...playing golf, lacrosse etc.

It was an honour to win this award......and it reminded me of Roosters famous saying he always told me. I was McMillan and he was McMillen. He always said...."i like your name Mike....but did you know that "e" is for excellence and "a" is for ass hole. Ha. He was a beauty.

Thanks Rooster!!

Ah yes the 80's...............Dennis, Stu, Ollie, Rooster, Joe, Paul and me (Green Jacket Golf Tourney)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Mike on the award!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats Mike. It still feels like he is still here with us. We will never forget him, He still lives on...in many ways. Its good to keep hearing about my uncle Randy, we do miss him very much

      Delete