passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Gordie Howe Hat Trick.

What Does a "Gordie Howe Hat Trick" Mean?

A scoring situation that occurs when a player scores a goal, an assist and gets into a fight all within one game. It is named in honour of forward Gordie Howe who was famous for his ability to both score and fight during his Hall of Fame career.




Interesting stat really. One that I do not personally have.

 I am proud of my stats during my lacrosse career.
333 games   604 goals   543 assists for 1147 points.

And add to that.....199 minutes in penalties. 199 minutes....in a career. OMG. I knew I was never a tough guy, not even close....but 199 minutes in a 333 games...I am a bit embarrassed.

No - I was no tough guy....I didn't fight. I found getting punched hurt. Go figure.

So needless to say. I never had a Gordie Howe Hat Trick.

This year PassItOnSports.ca sponsored a young man...Justin Donnelly. He was playing his first year of Junior B Lacrosse in Owen Sound.

If you missed it, I did a blog about him a while ago. Passion For Lacrosse.

It was a bit of a long season for the North Stars...as a matter of fact, going into their final game of the season last Sunday...they had a 1 - 18 record, tied for dead last with Hamilton, the team they would face in the last game...for dead last. All the makings of a summer barn burner?!

Patti and her girls made the trip down to Hamilton to take in this classic tilt.

It was not long that I started to get text messages from Jessica...she keeps me in the loop...especially if she is not happy with the refs (she was not) - or the other team....or the other fans. Yes, Jess does have her opinions. However she is a bit of a lacrosse expert...she has seen a lot of lacrosse.

Suddenly, it happened...Justin got his first goal of the season....my phone almost jumped out of my hand with Jessica's excited text. "Justin Scored"!!!

Good for him, I thought...wearing the PassItOnSports Jersey with pride..."my boy scored".

But he was not done just yet. He added an assist...and then...towards the end of the game...he got into a fight. Something that Justin is not a stranger to.

Yes...The Gordie Howe Hat Trick was complete. Even the announcer made note of it.

 And in the end, the North Stars won 13 - 12. Congrats Boys!

Patti said it was a really good game, entertaining, exciting and fun to watch. Two 1 - 18 teams...and great entertainment. That is why I love this game.


Justin Donnelly and Gordie Howe...I never thought I would say that it the same sentence.

                          Season is over...got my ball and my beer...does it get any better??




No comments:

Post a Comment