passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Toronto Maple Leafs

It has been a while since The Leafs won the coveted Stanley cup.

Case in Point.














1967 Toronto Maple Leafs.

I was 10. I do remember it clearly. It was amazing, it was awesome. (it was a frigging long time ago).

The "Buds".  The "Blue and White" We love them. We love to hate them just as much. It is tiresome and it has worn me out.

Let me be clear. I am a fan. I am not a band wagon jumper......I stick with them, I always have, I always will, but I have to admit, it is frustrating.

My Number 1 Pet Peeve pertaining to the Leafs?  
(other than the obvious one which of course is losing)
I hate to talk about the Leafs. I despise articles in the newspapers about the Leafs. I am tired of opinion. Every body's opinion, I am sick of. TALK RADIO!!! HATE IT! At one point in my life I did like listening to sports talk radio. Actually, I guess to some degree, I still do. Talk about basketball, baseball, lacrosse or even hockey....but please do not talk about the Toronto Maple Leafs. When I turn the radio on, if the Leafs are the subject....I am gone. Q107 - Rush "Fly By Night" (A classic). And so much more enjoyable.

Am I alone? Do you Leaf fans enjoy listening to the same rhetoric over and over and over. I mean it is endless. The radio hosts love it when the Leafs lose....it is so good for them. Open up the phone lines....the lines all light up, it never ends.

Fire Him. Hire Him. Why does this player do this? Why does he not do this. Trade Him. He is a Bum. That guy sucks. Goaltending, power forwards, we need...we don't need......yada, yada, frigging yada.

I have had it.Pick any topic, and simply insert it in any year....and it is the exact same story. Every year, every team.

I know as you read this you are thinking...."wow, this guy is bitter, he has some problems". Well, maybe true, not sure. Let me try to explain.

No matter how many times the media try to say, "don't blame us that the Leafs suck, it's not our problem.....they need to make changes, they need to do this...." and away the cycle goes again.

Here are the facts (As I see them).

  • Toronto is the best hockey town in the world.
  • To win the Cup in Toronto is the hockey "Holy Grail" - deny it if you like. It is a fact.
  • The pressure in Toronto is ridiculous. - you are under a microscope - every player - every coach - every body - every day. It is difficult to deal with, but deal with it you must.
  • Stars in Toronto (not many these days....) - but the stars are scrutinized to the nth degree. It is hard. Put the same star in a different market, you will get different results
  • you are not allowed to make mistakes in Toronto....which in itself is funny...because it is all we do.
  • The team has some issues....(pretty smart eh?) - we have work to do, but I don't want to hear it.
Here is my plan for my beloved Toronto Maple Leafs.

Starting today, a one year ban on any media coverage or reporting of anything to do with this team. Nothing. No mindless, radio talk shows where idiots call in to "fix the team". These people cannot fix the team, otherwise, they would probably have jobs in the NHL. No talking to my friends or enemies about the Leafs. I am done, for a year. Starting in September, I will tune in the the odd game....but I will not listen to sports radio. No point in listening. I have heard it over and over and .....you get it by now. Enough already.

.....so to quote the true Leaf fans......maybe next year baby!

1 comment: