passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Tippy is 50!!!... (my best friends birthday)



              My baby brother Steve (Tippy) has reached the mid-century mark.
              Ouch.                 (Not for him....but for me)

              The last of six kids to make it. Not really a goal we set out for in life…but not really something you can control either. It just “somehow” happens.

               I grew up in Clarkson, Ontario…..5 boys and a girl…..4 boys – then Laura – then Steve. There was enough of a gap between the older boys (me being fourth) and Tippy, that it allowed us to really focus on “picking” on him…..and pick away we did. For example when he was very young – but old enough to understand us, we told him we found him in a car wreck….on the side of the highway, and he was laying there saying “Fiji”….“fiji”. That is another story…but he was upset when we called him that - so we did. Boys are mean. Tis a fact. As you get older you realize how many times you may have “pushed the envelope” – but when you are a young boy….you don’t.

              For an idea of how my brain worked…if you have not already read it, check out My Blog on “My Life as a Ten Year old” -  I did a whole series, and my brother Steve, was a star.



             The life changing episode was the famous “head kicking” episode.  You can read about that here.



            He took a lot of crap….but he took it…..

              That seems like a long time ago. (it was) – So much has happened since. As Steve would get older, he would of course get into sports, like the rest of us. He became a lacrosse goalie, really had no choice, the older brothers needed a target and who better than the youngest brother.

              I was a sports guy…but so was Steve...and that is how our bond began to cement itself – sports...I played Lacrosse, so did Steve….I played basketball….so did Steve….fishing, golfing, football, if you could throw it, catch it, score it, or hit it…whatever it was we did it. And we did well at it.

              As Steve got into high school, is athleticism showed...he was  good football player – he was tough (I was not) – He could high jump…really really well…I had no vertical. I was fast…he was faster….and although he was tougher, faster and could jump higher, it somehow never bothered me…because he was my bro – my bud.

               In high school he was on the 4 x 100 relay team. The four guys on the team were named Delroy, Everton, Garfield and Steve. Yes, he was fast.

              That was a curse and a blessing….and kind of led to the famous nickname he acquired in lacrosse. “Tippy” use to run out of his net all the time…on his tippy toes and chase after the ball. Of all the goalies I have ever seen play the game, Tippy was the most entertaining.  He would hit guys behind the net, intercept breakaway passes – get into fights….and with all this “risk taking” came a few goals against too. But that was Tippy. A very solid stopper, a risk taker….and flat out fun to watch play. He hs heard this more than once in his life...... "Tippy, Stay in your Net!!!!!!

              He has won the Mann Cup, The Presidents Cup and the Vanier Cup. Quite an accomplishment…..I wonder if he would trade all those in for the Coveted Green Jacket. (I think not)


              With all of the sports going on in our life…..so did our life go by. We have both had our share of the bad times along with a lot of good…..and we have always been able to talk to each other about everything…..the good and the bad. That is a rare thing, I have found.

              He has been such a good brother to me. I am proud of him. He is a great family man, and a great guy to party with. A razor like wit, combined with a heart of gold.


               I am going to Owen Sound this weekend to play in the Annual Cubby Cruickshank Masters Lacrosse Tournament. Simply the best Masters Lacrosse ATournament in the world. Over 30 years I have been playing in Owen Sound in some form or another. A great place to play the game. Friday night our Oakville team  plays against Owen Sound….and it is also Tippy’s big day. Could not have planned it better.
 
Owen Sound Tourney Last year (Tippy in Blue)

              Happy Birthday Tippy. You are my best friend. I love you.
               p.s. (nice job Mom and Dad)

Your Brother, Mike. (Junior)

Some pics!!  

                                                 Me and Tippy in 1985 (Owen Sound North Stars)
                                                              (Check out that Goalie gear)


                                           1992 Mann Cup Winners (Brampton Excelsiors)


Junior and Tippy in Manchester England -
 World Field Lacrosse Championships(2010 - Grand Masters Division - Silver Medalists)

Great memories......lots more to come.
















4 comments:

  1. Hi Mike, I never knew you had so many siblings. I guess my age kind of fell through the cracks so to speak. I knew you from our Clarkson days when as a bantam I would come up and play in tournaments with you, Ricky Halladay, Mike Hicks etc. on the midgets. But then alas after my last year of midget ( we won provincial A that year) I moved away to lacrosse purgatory and obscurity.
    Walt (AKA Allsports)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great memories Mike - Tippy is a good guy - hope you do it up right in Owen Sound - paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tippy

    Cinquante...Either one great Birthday Year or one Damm Fine Ale!!! I have one for you in the fridge.

    Happy Birthday

    All the best

    Ollie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 50 Tippy - not sure if the testimonial of your life is what causes me to wish you a happy birthday, or the fact that you have a brother that so openly expresses his admiration, awe and love for you. How lucky are you to have the love of family and a milestone like 50! You gotta another 40 in ya at least, that is of course if you remember to "stay in you net Tippy"

    ReplyDelete