passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Monday, April 29, 2013

My Ride in an Ambulance (Part 3)

August 24th, 2012 (about 930pm)
 
 

I left the Brampton Hospital on the stretcher, and was quickly in the back of the ambulance. One nurse came with us as well. I know the area and I spent my ride trying to figure out where we were. There was a digital clock on the wall of the ambulance that I could see…I asked what is was for, and was told that it kept track of how long the trip took. My guy said it would be about 20 minutes. This is the weird thing. The digital clock was working…I know it, but every time I looked at it...it was at the same time. I saw it ticking, I saw the seconds and minutes were going by, but the time never changed. I kept looking away....and I looked back.....clickclickclick.....the digits kept moving........but the time was the same. Odd, I thought.
 I was thinking that maybe the big guy upstairs was helping me out, perhaps he had held time still for me…it is a funny thought, but that is what  I thought.
 

I knew we were on the 410 now….in lane one, and the driver was ripping it….we would hit bumps and my bed would bounce. I was ok with that; I wanted him to go faster. I thought of Patti. Does she know yet? – I miss her. I thought of my kids, my family…that’s what you do. You think about important things, and important people.

We left the 410 and made our way over to the Queensway….we were really close…I did not know what to expect. When we arrive at the hospital everything picked up speed. I was rushed inside, met by a team….they got me up on a table, I could tell I was in a operating room, a lot of people there. Some people talking to me I think, some not. They gave me something to chew on, not sure what it was. The nurse told me she had to shave me, I knew what she meant, they were doing an angioplasty. Same as my Mom, six months earlier. I was aware of everything going on (or so I thought). I could feel them pushing and shoving my body…I was in good hands.

The next thing that happened still has me thinking. I suddenly felt an electric shock of incredible proportions go through my body. My body lifted off the bed and rose 4 feet (in my mind anyway). Everything was in slow motion. I felt my body rise, I looked around, it was like slow motion, it was like a cartoon really. I saw my body in the air, blankets hanging down, it was like I was below looking up....I saw little pieces of operating room“stuff” floating in the air….tape, scissors, gauze…it was all there floating in mid-air with me. I stayed there for a bit….and as suddenly as it began, I crashed back to the bed, as though I was dropped off a roof. WOW! I thought. What the fuck was that!?  I remember as clear as a bell thinking to my self....whatever they just did....I did not want them to do it again.
 
Conclusion.....coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment