passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Cardio Rehab - Done!

Cardio Rehab - I passed!
 
I can't figure out if the six months in my rehab program went by fast.......or slow. Hard to say.
 
But.....it is over.  (well it is never over I guess - but this part of it has ended)
 
As my public service (and somewhat annoying) duty - I will continue my free education and pass on what I learned for those of you that are interested.
 
When I was discharged from Oakville Trafalgar Hospital, I was automatically enrolled in Cardio Rehab through The Halton Healthcare Organization. I had an input interview, they took my weight, waist size (ouch), my heart rate, blood pressure....etc. I had blood tests done, along with a stress test at the Hospital and all this info was recorded on my record.
 
I was then sent to the beautiful YMCA in Oakville to begin my program. This was in November. I went every Tuesday and Thursday evening...after work. When you arrive, they take your blood pressure and heart rate and monitor your work outs. You are given a "target" heart rate to work out at, that number was derived from my stress test. My target was in the 98 - 120 range.
 
Also, as part of the program you can take some courses, a dietitian explains reading labels at the supermarket, so that you eat the right foods. (sounds boring I know, but was actually interesting).
On another course, I learned the benefits of healthy eating. Another valuable course for sure.
 
I would run the treadmill, go on the bikes, the elliptical machines and so on.....with the purpose to get my heart back to normal.
 
I want to say the the people running the program were great....form the warmups to everything else. A great bunch of people.
 
I graduated on Tuesday May 7th. Meaning....that program is over...and now, the idea is to continue on my own at home.
 
I learned a ton. Here are some tidbits for you.
  • Moderation is the key. Sounds cliche, but is true. My dietitian was great...because in my mind she was realistic. She did not prescribe some bizarre, unrealistic diet. Leaving the Vegans and Gluten Frees etc. out of the equation for a second...the message I got was this. Eat Healthy, but you don't need to be fanatic. If you slip up once in a while, don't beat yourself up. Allow yourself to "cheat" once in a while as long as you make a real effort to eat healthy most of the time. Eat smaller portions. Skip dessert. If you eat 4 chocolate bars a week  - cut it down to 2. Doing something to improve your eating, is better than doing nothing.
  • Exercise - get out and walk, run, jump and play...whatever it is, get some exercise. It is the best drug in the world, and does amazing things to your body.
  • Keep in touch with your Doctor - get checkups on a regular basis.
  • Get copies of your blood tests (you are allowed) - and learn the numbers. Here are some examples.
Total Cholesterol - Target < 4     Oct 2012 3.38     May 2013  3.28

Cholesterol - LDL
(lousy cholesterol)  Target < 2    Oct 2012  1.79    May 2013   1.70

Exercise Test - METS    MET (Metabolic Equivalent Unit) - a measure of human energy output. 1 MET equals the amount of energy expended at rest. The higher the MET's, the fitter the individual.

I did well here. My entry test my METS were 10.1. Six month s later...14. I was told that was very good. I was pleased to here that.

Target Heart Rate (working out) - was 98 - 120.   Now is 112 - 136.


So....to sum it up. I feel great. I really do. I am playing lacrosse and going to the gym...and things are good. I wanted to write this blog to let those interested know the results....but more than that....I wanted to thank the staff at Halton Healthcare. The program was awesome....and I plan on continue with all that I have learned for years to come.




                                Amrita, Shawna, me and Brenda (got me back in the game.)
                                                    Graduation Day!!!


Thank you all so much!!


--
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment