passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Monday, April 18, 2011

My backyard

My Back Yard was the Best of All time…….no question about it. We had full lacrosse games there, as many as 15 kids running around. We used a tennis ball, no mouth guards of course, stick checking allowed, we took turns in net….but the “good” goalies filtered out and played most of the time. I still play lacrosse (Master’s Lacrosse) with most of the guys from my back yard. My Dad replaced, I would say conservatively 40 – 50 broken windows in our garage and house. I remember one time when I was using the lacrosse ball, that it “got away” from me, went through the window in the house and landed on my Mother’s sewing table. She was sewing at the time. Oops. We also golfed in the back yard (it was big) – I made the shot of my life in that back yard. I was practicing with my pitching wedge. My sister was 100 yds away. What are the odds…..after all, I was 10. My Dad said “Michael, don’t hit the ball, your sister is there. I thought out all my options. I looked at the wind direction. I looked at the target. I looked my Dad. I felt like Arnold Palmer. It was an impossible shot. I made my decision. I took the shot, it was the sweetest wedge I think I have ever hit. Bang. Right off my sister’s forehead. Oops. But I learned something that day. It was the first time I ever realized I could out run my Dad*** see discipline section coming soon***. He came after me. I quickly assessed my options as he got closer, I made another cat like decision, and I decided to run for it. I had never gotten away before, but I was a boy possessed. As he got within arm reach, I was able to find another gear, and I started to put some space between us. He was quick, I will give him that, but I had the stamina, all my sports were paying off, combine that with focus and I was not going to be caught that day. The day was mine. Only one problem, I realized about an hour later, it was getting late…..and I was hungry, I headed for the house.
Next Backyard (Continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment