passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Discipline - Dad

Dad was different. A little more understated. When he was mad and he started to grit his teeth, that was not usually a good sign. If he raised his hand you were done for. I am not sure what every body's opinion on a parent raising their hand to their children, but I was a kid, and now I am a parent and this much I know for sure...if I ever got a flying slipper off the noodle, or a wooden spoon off the back side or if my Dad had to grit his teeth and raise his hand, i can tell you this, I always deserved it. Not only did I deserve it, I probably deserved it about 8 infractions before I got 'it'. I tended to push the envelope a tad. I never had the brain power to think on my own when I was a kid to say...."hmmm, maybe I should stop behaving like this". My Mom has asked 6 times to stop, and yet I still continue to behave this way.....so I am going to stop now and say sorry Mom" No, that never happened. I would push it way beyond any reasonable limit.
My Dad rarely had to actually do anything, if he was mad, we knew why, and we didn't want the discussion to go any further than that. I would lay in my bed, and listen to my Mom and Dad talking, I could not hear them clearly, but I knew it was my Mom filling my Dad in on my day. The I would hear him coming up the stairs, one gigantic step after another.  I was dead. He would walk on to my room, (why did I do it, what was I thinking) My dad would walk in, and...well, (this is the anti climatic part)  he would just ask me what happened, I would tell him. I felt bad, and he knew I did....and that was the toughest, I didn't like to disappoint my parents.
Next - My siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment