passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Be A Lacrosse Fan

I love lacrosse. That is no secret. I love to play. I love to coach. I love to watch. Lacrosse is such a great game, and over the years the lacrosse purists have wanted fans to share our passion.

The frustrating part, for the most part is that “selling” our game to the non lacrosse people out there has not always been easy. Lacrosse people love lacrosse, but the problem is lacrosse people DO NOT fill lacrosse arenas to watch lacrosse. What is that you ask? – “What are you talking about Mike”? “We love to watch lacrosse”. Well, sorry to tell you, that is not the case.

Case in Point!

·         When you go to a Senior A lacrosse game in Ontario in the summer, is it sold out? No, it is not. Not even close. There is a smattering of loyal fans, family, friends and fans….but not many. Keep in mind that the players playing in the Summer League are for the most part the Pros that you watch in the winter. Weird, don’t you think?

·         In order to attract fans to the game we love, the rules have been “played” with. For example, probably the biggest change was the bigger nets. Wow. To me, that was a big mistake.

 (but that is me)

So the thing that continually haunts me….I mean really it bothers me…how do you make fans fall in love with lacrosse to the same level that I love to play.

Let me re-word that. I love Lacrosse.  (I know I said that) – I have a passion for this game that is even hard to describe…so here is our challenge. How do we transfer our love for this game to a fan?

If the fans loved this game as much as I love to play this game…the arenas would not be big enough to hold the fans. Seriously. That is the solution. However, that is not the case…and the fans are not filling the arenas…not to capacity. I want capacity. The thought of capacity crowds excite me.

I was one of the coaches for The Brampton Excelsiors when we won the Mann Cup in 1992. It was a sudden death overtime victory where present Toronto Rock Coach Troy Cordinley scored a beautiful top corner goal and the capacity crowd in the “sweaty” over capacity arena went wild. I remember my brother-in-law (not a lacrosse player, but a big sports fan) said after the game to me that “that was possibly the best sporting event I have ever seen”.  That type of energy is what we need. How do we get there? That is the big question.

The crowds in the NLL have been solid, I would even say loyal…but they are not capacity…and I am greedy. I want capacity crowds. Athletes feed off of fans, and fans feed off of players…you all know the feeling I am talking about. Have you been to a sporting event that it felt “electric”? It is Crazy!

The Canadian Lacrosse League (known as CLax) is a new Professional Lacrosse League that begins play in January of 2012.

There are three venues, The GM Centre in Oshawa will be home to the Oshawa Machine and The Durham Turfdogs. The Brampton Powerade Centre will house the Peel Avengers and the Brampton Inferno. The Iroquois Lacrosse Arena in Six Nations will be home for the Iroquois Ironmen and the Oshweken Demons.

This new league is trying something a little different, and that is what has me interested. CLax is creating an entire lacrosse experience. There is of course the Pro’s. These players did not make the NLL (yet) but the Lacrosse talent pool is huge…and these athletes will be quick, strong and fun to watch.

There is a Junior CLax League for players from 10 – 19 that will be able to “play like a pro” – same jerseys, same venues, it is going to be a lot of fun.

There is a Masters CLax League for players 22 and over that just want to have some fun. Same venue, following the Pro Game .  I am sure you know by now, I am the Commissioner of the new Masters League…and the main reason (aside from my love of the game) – is I believe in what the CLax Pro league is doing. There have been rule changes…but not really “new” rules…more like the “old” rules that are “new” again. The game will be fast…really fast….edge of the seat fast, and you don’t want to miss it.

Go to the CLAX website right now and order your tickets….and get ready for Lacrosse.

For Junior CLax contact Joel at jjohnson@clax.ca

For Masters CLax contact Mike at mike@passitonsports.ca

Websites.  – To order tickets or to sign up for leagues go to www.clax.ca  

Also there is Masters Registration at www.passitonsports.ca


Let's Be A Lacrosse Fan.





2 comments:

  1. I have to agree. I like the concept of involvement at a "Grass Roots" level so to speak. It will help raise awareness to the sport and maybe touch families that would not be involved otherwise. They need to do a better job of marketing as well. One thing that has bothered me over the years with Major Lacrosse and the Excelsiors is many people just don't know when they are playing or if they do it is sometimes too late to go. Get some adds on the radio and in the paper.
    The media for sports news could do a better job as well, TSN, the Star, Sports net, etc, never have much of anything about the game. They need to get with it as well after all it is our National sports and was long before hockey was ever played.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 6 year old grandson held a stick in his hand for the first time yesterday at a clinic held by the local high school coaches and Oglethorpe University. He fell in love. Two coaches said he was a natural. We've already been out shooting a ball at his t-ball target 3x today. We don't know much about it yet, but bet we will by the end of his first season starting in 2/12. Any fan traditions to show support?

    ReplyDelete