passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Believe in Magic?

There is one thing I have learned over the years, in every facet of my life, and that is...have an open mind.
Do not be afraid to try new things, things you never ever thought you would try when you were younger.

My subject today is physical therapy, and the many different options available to you.

I have found that as many people that you ask about methods of healing, you will get that many different answers, so it is something that experience is definitely the best teacher.

I don't even want to get into the massive debate about  Western Medicine vs  Eastern Medicine. That is an interesting debate. I of course will be Sweden in this argument-- neutral, simply because, I have a good family doctor that I trust and rely on, plus I do use some alternative therapies that I have found success with.

I have played sports my entire life, and for the most part have been somewhat injury free...no horrible injuries that have sidelined me for a long period of time. However, as I occasionally check my driver's licence (your age is right on there my boss reminds me) and I get older, and continue to play sports, the injury situation seems to be escalating. I get calf injuries, achilles, groin, hamstrings, back, and now hip.
A physical specimen really.

Physiotherapy

I have been a physiotherapy supporter as long as I can remember, maybe because my Mom worked in the office for a clinic for a long time, but mostly because when I have had injuries in sports, I have gone to a physio and had success.
My most recent experience with a physical therapist is my friend Silvana Yee. As some of you know, she accompanied us to Manchester, England for the 2010 World Field Lacrosse Championships.
We played in the Grand Master's Division (45+) so Silvana definitely had her work to do...and what Ms. Yee did in England was nothing short of magic. Our team had a lot of injuries and for her to keep us on the field and competitive, was amazing.
Silvana works at Upper James Physio in Hamilton. Drop in for some "magic".

Chiropractor

At first I admit, I was not a big fan, all the back "cracking" and neck "twisting, can't be good for you. Well guess what, that is because I never went, I never understood what they did. I was very wrong.
For well over a year I had calf, hamstring and achilles problems, it felt like they were "pulls" but they came and went and always seemed to happen at the strangest time. Someone suggested I go to a chiropractor, and there was actually a new clinc, five minutes from my house. I met Dr. Julie C. Aucoin-Costanz, and she x-rayed my back, and in no time diagnosed my sciatica and started my treatment. One month later (and this was five years ago) I was better, and this problem has not come back. Was it magic?

Massage Therapy

If you have never had massage therapy, you have no idea what you are missing. A good massage therapist can do so much for aches and pains in your body. I once had a really painful calf injury, I went to a massage therapist. He asked me what my pain threshold was, and I said, pretty good. He said the deeper into the tissue he can get, the more he can help me. Well guess what? It hurt like hell, I was waiting for him to give me a bullet to bite down on, and a shot of whiskey. But...three sessions later, I was running again. Magic, no?

Acupuncture

Acupuncture, like most therapies, is not for everyone. I have talked to numerous people, for some it works, for others not. I can tell you, I am one of those that has tried acupuncture with great success. I am actually fascinated with it. For those of you that don't understand it, it is basically the art of inserting needles into pressure points in your body to relieve and control pain. If you have pain and have not been able to manage it, you may want to consider acupuncture. It truly is magical.

I am fortunate enough to have a great massage and acupuncture clinic within walking distance of my house. A husband and wife team (Bill and Lee Lee) - professional and effective team. They operate as Thomas Therapy and Rehab Clinic at 7-3375 Thomas Street in Mississauga. 289-997-5918.
 Give them a call and tell them Mike sent you.

It will be magical!



No comments:

Post a Comment