passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Feel Like A Champion

You have all witnessed this scene before. You have just won the Superbowl (or some other major championship) and the camera pans towards the coach...a couple of veteran players are seen...tiptoeing towards the coach...with a huge container of Gatorade raised above their head. As they get closer to the coach, the coach suddenly realizes that something weird is going on as people start to back away from him...but is always too late. The big bucket of icy cold liquid gets dumped on his head. It is a sign of respect in a funny way, it is a way for the players to cut through all the tension leading up to this moment...and a way of saying thanks...we did it.

Well, just to set things straight, I did not win any championship this weekend. But thanks to the girls from the Owen Sound U-19 Lacrosse team...for a few moments they made me feel like a champion.

We were playing in our last weekend before the Provincials in August. As some of you know, I have been assistant coach along with head coaches Tristen Cruickshank and Jessica McCallister. I told the girls before our first game that I would not be at provincials with them, as I am playing with my Master's Field team in Lake Placid on the same weekend. And yes...I do feel bad about it.

All the girls have made me feel welcome since I arrived on the scene...and I thank you all for that.

On this day we were playing the only two teams that we had lost to all season: St. Catherines and Orangeville. Before the first games, I had some words for the girls about effort and dedication. Tristen and Jessica relayed our game plan and we were ready. Temperature at game time??? (flat out hot!!)

The girls were amazing, passing, chasing down loose balls, defence and stellar goaltending from Shelby. We won going away 14 - 3. It was pretty to watch.

Next we had the revered Orangeville squad. They are undefeated all season. 11 wins, no losses. Our girls came out with the (sometimes typical in sports) "Deer in the Headlights" look....and before you could say Lacrosse stick, we were down 5 - 1....and the girls were not having fun. Tristen called a timeout to rally the troops...and after that we toughened up. This was not our day though. We ended up with a late rally that fell short, and ended up losing in a close one 9 - 7. It was over...we shook hands with our opponent, and headed to the sidelines, and that is when it happened. The cooler that I brought with me, and I filled with ice....the drinks were quickly emptied out...and veteran Torey Barfoot led the attack...and suddenly I was drenched with cold water and ice. I was shocked...and when I realized what had happenend, I was touched. On this very hot summer day, after a very difficult loss...these girls had made me "Feel Like a Champion".  I just want to say thanks.




Best of luck at provincials girls. Play like you can.

Mike

2 comments:

  1. What a heart-warming story.Over and over and OVER....how we realize that sports develop character in everyone.

    Winning is,obviously, the "High" but.....doing your best,rallying around your players and coaches and "showing up" in
    dedication and attitude can also result in positive triumph.

    Way to go girls and best of luck in your Provincials!

    Marj McMillan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the best Mike. Thanks for coaching this season. You've been so helpful to all of us. And we're glad you feel like a champion, nice and cold one :)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete