passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Karma - Women's World Cup.

Karma - According to karma, performing positive actions results in a good condition in one's experience, whereas a negative action results in a bad effect. The effects may be seen immediately or delayed. Delay can be until later in the present life or in the next.

Do you believe in Karma in sports? Are you superstitious? Are you someone who thinks that if an announcer say during a basketball game "This guy has hit 24 foul shouts in a row" that the player will miss his next shot?

I believe LeBron James and the Miami Heat lost the NBA championship for one reason. Bad Karma.

I am jumping around a bit here, but this whole topic is interesting to me. Here is another spin on it that bugs me. Sports Journalists have a responsibility, they report on what they see, and of course will often offer their thoughts and perspectives on things. Nothing wrong with that. We all have our own opinion, and have every right to express it.

But, this is what bugs me.
As recently as last week, Canada lost a close game to Germany (2-1) after Christine Sinclair broke her nose in the Women's Soccer World Cup. After that many reporters were glowing about the effort of the women.
They talked about how solid the effort was, and many talked about how this could be a big year.

 Here is where (in my mind) things turned. I listened to the radio, read some articles and they all said the same thing. "All we have to do is beat France, which we should do fairly easily"

(YIKES) - I thought to myself. Don't ever say that. Always respect your opponent.

 I am not saying the Canadian Women did not respect The French Women, but as a group, a lot of people were looking past them to Nigeria.....which again, by the way, everybody said Canada would win that, no problem......sigh.......I really don't like that way of thinking.

The Karma had now been affected.....in my mind. I thought to myself, this game against France is going to be tough. If you have not heard, we lost 4 - 0. A very tough and demoralizing loss. They are now talking about how tough it is going to be against Nigeria. Nigeria was supposed to be a "gimme" game according to the "experts"

Nigeria 1   Canada  0            There are no freebies in sports.            Respect your opponent at all times.

The talk has all changed now. This morning on the radio, a reporter from the World Cup said, how the whole program might now have to be revamped. It was all negative, down talk.....how did it all change form less than a week ago, when it was all optimism? What changed? One bad loss and combined with a second loss today........everything has changed.

Does not make any sense to me.

But that is sports.....and that is how Karma can change things.

My opionion for Team Canada. Hang tough. It was not the tournament you wanted. Learn from it.
Time to move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment