passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Toughness Question.

Who is tougher?? A fighter or a scorer? Does it make you tough because you can fight (or will fight?) Does it make you tough because you are willing to slash someone to hurt them, or is it what makes you tough that you are willing to be physical, and also are prepared to back it up.

Who is tougher - the lacrosse player who cuts the middle, catches the ball, gets whacked by a stick 3 or 4 times...or the player doing the chopping?

I can speak on this to some degree. I played lacrosse for many years at a very high level, and those of you that know me, know that I am not "tough". One of my many nicknames over the years was "Bambi", if that gives you any indication.

I learned early on that getting punched actually hurt. My one regret in lacrosse is perhaps my lack of toughness. My strength was scoring.

 One thing I am actually quite proud of is my Senior/Major stats... I played 205 games and scored 368 goals and had 368 assists for 736 points. I had the ability to put the ball in the net. However, I do have big regrets. Had I been tougher, would I have scored more, or less? I didn't win a lot of the "big" games. That is something to ponder. I would also argue that i had a level of toughness that went unnoticed. I scored many goals, cutting the middle, receiving a pass, getting chopped and putting the ball in the net. I have had multiple fingers blackened, elbows swollen, knees, hips....any part of my body that they could whack, they would...it was free game. I had cracked ribs, twice, multiple face cuts (before the face mask), and so many welts and bruises that you could never count. I rarely retaliated. So that made me soft. (i guess)


So I ask the question again. Who is tougher? How do you define toughness?


                  

1 comment:

  1. TOUGHNESS!!

    From a woman/Mother's perspective..toughness for me is defined in the "SPIRIT"! I have met so many extremely challenged
    friends and read many stories about incredible tragedies that effect families.The "heroes" in these stories meet these
    moments with an attitude and determination that cannot be matched.

    Toughness in Sports is another story.

    Toughness is:

    1. Showing up for a practice/game when you miss a special occasion
    2. Playing with the minimum number of players
    3. Playing when your body is not at its "best"
    4. Not retalliating when some "goon" is bound to stop your scoring
    5. Congratulating your opponents on their victory(OH HOW THAT HURTS)!
    6. Rallying around your goalie and/or player(s) that did not "show up" for the important match

    So...be "tough" in SPIRIT AND DETERMINATION AND RESOLUTION to be YOUR best in all walks of life.

    ReplyDelete