passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

The day after 9/11. That is the day my Dad died. That was a tough week.
On father's day, I always think about him. He wasn't a "normal" Father - or maybe he was. All i know for sure, as I get older, my memories of him are all good. He did things with us kids that made sure the memories would stick.

Examples -

1/ showing up one night with our new dog (boxer named Chips) - not sure Mom was happy at the time, but in retrospect, he was a completely necessary part of the family.
2/ The best backyard hockey rink in the neighborhood. Huge snowbanks, beautiful ice surface (he would spend hours out there in the cold flooding the rink) - and of course lights for night games.
3/Driving to Talisman Ski Resort in the station wagon (packed) to ski for a day.
4/Using the same Dodge Monaco Wagon to pull us using a ski rope on our toboggan behind the car at the Rattary Marsh (not sire if it was legal - or safe - but man it was fun.
5/ taking us water skiing - pulling a record 7 skiers behind the boat, and than driving the boat around the entire lake so everybody could see us, are arms falling off, but we loved it.
6/ passing on golf - lacrosse - fishing - skiing etc to me, and driving me everywhere, any where, any time. Until you get a little older, it is hard to understand what it takes to make that happen.

He had a way of making the ordinary, extraordinary...and that is something special.

I could go on and on. He was a Dad. A Dad I still try to emulate. I love you Dad. Thanks.

Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment