passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Vancouver - 24 hrs later

I don't really know what to say, but I feel like I want to say so much.

Reckless Disregard

(n) the phrase Reckless disregard is used to represent utmost stage of negligence in doing anything with a mentality of disregarding the existence of the society and its well being.

That is probably the best way to describe last night in Vancouver.
24 hours ago I was playing a Masters Lacrosse game with my pals. We were excited to get it over, and run to The Tin Cup for a beverage an see the last period of the game. It was anticlimatic...I wanted a close, exciting last minute finish. It didn't happen, and a deserving Boston Bruin team accepted their well earned hardware.
Even as this was going on the first car was on fire. It got a lot worse.
I have a hard time figuring out this mentality. Yes, I have seen it before. The most recent was the Toronto G20. I was disgusted.
Last night made me feel worse. Why? I asked myself that, and the answer I came up with this. It is a sports event. That is all. Please tell me that these were not people that were "hurt" by losing a game. Please tell me that.
It was shameful....embarrassing, and brutal. The perpetrators seems to be very similar. Young and male. If I offend you here, than send me a comment, but look at the pictures and videos. Some say it was an organized terror group that started it, I don't buy that...but I could be wrong. The point is there were a lot of Canuck sweaters involved in the riot...and they all seemed pretty proud of themselves.
What I want to know is this. What are they really so mad at? What has gone wrong with society. People stood around watching and taking pictures of the horror. Why hang around? Leave. Go home.
I am not sure if you have figured this out, but I am not really saying much on this blog. I am mad. I am upset. I am venting.
I would love for someone, anyone to make sense of it for me. I can't.
I commend the people in Vancouver that stepped up to help. We need to figure this out.
A short video to show a small section of the damage.
http://www.vancouversun.com/Video+Horrendous+damage+stores+Vancouver+Riot+2011/4958053/story.html

Take care.   Mike.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike. I struggle with this myself. I can relate what went on to what often occurs in European soccer. Being of Scottish heritage, there is a long history of fan violence which doesn't need to be aired in this forum.This is also evident in England, Holland and Eastern Europe. At the heart of the violence is a social issue within society. I also have witnessed this when attending Buffalo Bills games. Although all these three sports are as different as can be. One thing is constant. That is, the people who cause trouble at these events are NOT fans or supporters. I can attest to the fact that these people are using the Team in question as a vehicle to " Act Out" in an abhorent social manner. Having said this, This doesn't seem to jive with the people of Vancouver. It is a laid back city with a better than average social system(Canada) and there doesn't appear to be any more societal issues than in any other large city in Canada. But still these despicable acts persist. Im also in the dark

    ReplyDelete