passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Pro Lacrosse - Bring back the fast break!

I talked to one of the coaches in the NLL who will remain nameless, he explained the logic to me, and how teams are adapting now and instead of doing 5 on and 5 off, they are now sending 3 and 3, and sometimes they call a play to bust it out, and this to me is a start. But for an old school guy like myself, i want more. I look at it this way. The owners in the NLL have done a great job to get us here. We have a good league with a good group of solid franchises, and the game has tried lots of rule changes (bigger nets for one) to make the game exciting. They have introduced a new group of fans, that were never lacrosse fans before, which is great, but i think it is important to not forget the games roots, and what made it great in the past. FastBreaks!! How about this radical idea? When I was six years old we had what was called the “three” minute line. These kids would start the game, play three straight minutes, no matter what, the buzzer would go, and the next line would come out. Hmmmm. Care to try that at the pro level? That would be fun to watch! How do you ever stop the constant line changing? Can you make a rule saying no line change for 45 seconds? I don't know the answer. But I need an answer.
I am here to tell the people at the NLL, that when I am watching, I really miss the fast break. Bring me back lacrosse. I am not some old school guy that cannot grow with the game. I can. But we have to look at the game and think about what has made it great.
"The fastest game on two feet"! Please let us not forget this.
Just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment