passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Monday, August 22, 2011

Guest Speaker

This week I have the privilege of being the guest speaker at The Owen Sound Minor Lacrosse Awards  Banquet in Owen Sound, Ontario.

This past summer I assisted Jessica and Tristen coach the U-19 Girls Lacrosse team in Owen Sound, and the girls had a great season. It was a so much fun and along the way a met some incredible people, including Sandy (very persuasive) Barfoot who asked me to speak....and I am now trying to figure out what to talk about at the dinner.

There are so many subjects, so many things to say. I have a question for you. What would you say if you had 10 minutes to talk to some young athletes ranging in age from 5 - 20?
 A diverse group...all at different stages in their personal and sporting life. I don't want to bore them and yet I would like to leave them all with something positive to think about.

  • I could talk about the value of playing sports and the life lessons you learn along the way (they have probably heard that one 10 or 20 times by now
  • I could talk about commitment and how important it is to jump in with both feet when signing up to be a part of something.
  • I could talk about the respect, and how many different forms of respect there is within the sporting world
  • I could talk about how they text and talk on their cell phone too much                                      (no, better leave that one out)
I'll figure it out at some point. Should be just fine. If you are wondering about the character of some of these people.....well you probably already know.  There are a lot of great role models. All the girls in the Owen Sound Field Lacrosse program helped to raise money for a great cause. U11, U15 and U19.
 I actually wrote a little story about it.  http://www.passitonsports.ca/featurestory.html

This past weekend, the giving continued as some of the girls drove to Orillia to participate in the Lax for the cure, and a lot of money was raised for Breast Cancer.

                                Tristen and Jessica at Lax for the Cure 2011 - Way to go Girls!!


                         Tristen in action against some of her friends from her UOIT Lacrosse team.

UOIT Lacrosse    http://www.uoitridgebacks.com/varsity/clubs/wlacrosse/index.htm


I look forward to Thursday night in Owen Sound, see some old friends and meet some new ones....but there is one message I have for all of you and it is a good one.
I have had the opportunity to meet and interact with a lot of young people this year, my co-coaches, the players on our team, and lots of sons and daughters from friends of mine, and friends of friends of mine. Based on all these kids I have met....in my humble opinion, the future is looking really good.

Always strive to be better. Be respectful. Show gratitude.

One last note. A Great Canadian passed away today. Jack Layton. His enthusiasm and relentless energy never went unnoticed. He wrote a letter to all Canadians over the last few days. If you get a chance look it up and read it. I love how he wrapped it all up.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world".

Nice words.

No comments:

Post a Comment