passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ontario Masters Lacrosse Provincials 2011

Another huge weekend coming up.

The Oakville Senior Masters Lacrosse Team is hosting the Ontario Championships in Oakville at Glen Abbey Arena. This is kind of an (old man) version of the Mann Cup (well, not really). But it is a lot of fun.

Masters Lacrosse was born in the 1990's after a few guys realized that they were too old...or just not good enough to play lacrosse anymore.....(the contact version) - but they still wanted to play the game. I saw a t-shirt that described it well   "too old to hit - too young to quit"

Masters Lacrosse is split into 2 separate divisions:

Junior Masters is for players 21 - 35. As a matter of fact, a lot of these guys could be playing Senior B or Senior A Lacrosse. Perhaps they don't want to play at that level...but I think for most of them it is a matter of "life" getting in the way. To play Senior Lacrosse, you need to really be available as there are usually a couple of practices and 2 or 3 games a week all summer, and to fit that around a family can be difficult.

Senior Masters is for players over 35.....we have two players on our team in their 60's. (although they sometimes deny it). I have been playing in the Senior Division for some time, and I can tell you this, Junior Masters is much faster than Senior Masters......but I guess that is understandable. Some people say that when we run they "clock us with a sundial" (that hurts) - Recently at a game, I was lucky enough to get on a breakaway...I ran like the wind (or so I thought) and after I shot (oh and I did score) - I turned around to see that there was no one in sight on defence, nobody chased me. When I got to the bench, I said to my players, "Why didn't you tell me there was nobody behind me, I wouldn't have run so fast"!! The reply from one of my teammates was..."Mike, you weren't running that fast". (ouch).
There are many house leagues around Ontario, some that provide players for the tournaments. Our league of course is MOB Lacrosse, that you have heard me talk about. We have the opportunity to play in 4 - 6 tournaments every year.....Midland, Fergus, Owen Sound, Niagara on the Lake for example all held tournaments this year.....which is where our rankings are determined from, leading to provincials.
If you are in the Oakville area this weekend drop by and support lacrosse.
There are many former pro players, Mann Cup (Senior A), President Cup (Senior B), Minto Cup (Junior A) and Founder's Cup (Junior B).

Now, like in any sport, there are still a few knuckleheads that play, but they are few in far between. For the most part, this group of guys is the reason I still play. Nice people. Genuine people. Lacrosse people.

We usually start laughing on Friday night...and continue through to Sunday.....although on Sunday the laughs are mixed in with a lot of groans. Actually, if you want to have a lot fun....park in the Glen Abbey parking lot this Sunday, and watch (and listen) the guys getting out of their cars.It is quite a show.

People often ask me...when are going to stop playing? - The answer.....is kind of like anything you do in life...if you are enjoying yourself...you do it. At some point, it will end...but in the words of another great t-shirt I saw on some guy...."The older I get....the better I was"!


BIG NEWS FLASH!!      www.passitonsports.ca      is covering the Provincials this year from start to finish with real time updates to scores. To see the Master's coverage go to the website and click on the Master's Lacrosse Provincials 2011 icon on the homepage....use your computer or your smart phone to follow the scores and updates. Check it out!!

2 comments:

  1. well good luck on your home floor this weekend Mike. As for me a little R&R at the cottage with a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see anything saying how the Owen Sound girls made out. Did I miss it?

    ReplyDelete